How to make rocket pesto: recipe and instructions for preparing homemade rocket pesto. From the garden to the table, an easy, quick and tasty recipe.
Thepestoit is a very versatile cream, it can be used as a condiment for first courses, to accompany meats and braised meats or to be served with simple croutons. Although there are many variations, thepestobest known in Italy is the Genoese one, prepared starting from basil leaves.
Just like the pesto of basil, it is possible to prepare a zucchini pesto with a very delicate flavor, a mint pesto with a stronger taste and rocket pesto, with an intense and more or less delicate flavor according to the variety of rocket choice.
Thererocket salad, also calledrocketor, in some regional dialects,rocketorrocket, is mainly used to enrich salads and accompany meat or cheese dishes. With therocket pestoit is possible to dress delicious first courses, enrich stuffed omelettes or give a refined touch to meat dishes. The rocket pesto recipe is easy to make and will only take you a few minutes.
How to make rocket pesto
The ingredients for dressing 300 grams of pasta
- 100 grams ofrocket saladfresh
- 80 ml of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 grams of garlic
- 50 grams of Parmigiano Reggiano
- 50 grams of Pecorino
- 50 grams of pine nuts
- 5 grams of salt
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
For this preparation, use rocket from the garden or preferably raw material of organic origin, remembering to respect seasonality. Here's how to proceed
1. First, wash it thoroughlyrocket salad, even if you buy the one packaged with the words "already washed ". According to a recent survey, there is no shortage of chemical residues even on pre-packaged vegetables already washed.
2. If you have to use pesto as a sauce for pasta, it will not be necessary to let it dry. Transfer the rocket to the mixer. Add the pine nuts, Parmigiano Reggiano, Pecorino, the already peeled garlic and salt.
3. Add the extra virgin olive oil and start blending all the ingredients at low speed. Stop the mixer only when you have obtained a smooth, creamy and well blended mixture.
The rocket pesto, thus obtained, can only be stored in the refrigerator for a few days. For storage, remember to transfer therocket pestoin an airtight jar and covered with a drizzle of oil.
At the time of use, if therocket pestoshould it be too thick, you can soften it by adding a few tablespoons of pasta cooking water, which is very rich in starches: perfect for mixing and restoring the creamy consistency. Freshly ground pepper must be added at the time of use.
How to use rocket pesto to season pasta
Use the rocket pesto as a condiment it is simple. You can use any type of pasta, even if the striped or curly ones are the best for holding pesto and sauces.
To prepare, boil the water and lower the pasta. Aside, in a large pan, place the rocket pesto. Drain the pasta (without throwing away the cooking water) very al dente and finish cooking in the pan containing the pesto. Stir to mix the two ingredients well (rocket pesto and pasta). Add the freshly ground pepper and whisk the pasta for a few moments in the rocket pesto over high heat.
To best serve the dish of pasta with rocket pesto, you can garnish with a few whole rocket leaves and a couple of toasted almonds.
Curiosities about rocket
Rocket is mainly made up of water: 91%! Low in calories (only 25 calories per 100 grams of product) and rich in vitamins and minerals. It is a decent source of folic acid and contains vitamins C, K, A and B. It is able to stimulate the production of gastric juices and is popular for its relaxing properties.