Humidity in the house it means mold. And the mold in the house it is a serious problem: it forms on walls and in corners and not only stinks (the classic musty smell) but favors the proliferation of pathogenic germs dangerous for health. Umildew and mold in the house predispose to rheumatic and respiratory diseases.
Moisture and mold in the house they are also an economic damage. In old buildings, the damage caused by humidity in the walls of old buildings is often evident, due to the passage of time (in a dated building some infiltration and regulations), poor maintenance, insufficient protection from the ground, poor ventilation or more.
The same drawbacks, however, can also occur in recent buildings and manifest themselves in the destruction of the plasters, the connection mortar, the degradation of natural stones and the rotting of the timbers. When these things happen, and in a new building it is even more annoying, there is certainly a problem with humidity in the house.
On closer inspection, today the problem ofhumidity in homes and in construction in general it is even more complex than in the past. This is because the 'weight' of variables such as the thermal characteristics of the walls, the internal temperature associated with the external one, the sources of steam production, thermal bridges, heating methods and more has increased.
There mold in the house it's a problem, but to know how much you have to worry about, you first need to identify the causes, which can be many.
Problems can be large or small. Likewise, not all types of mold are equally serious. Some depend on causes that can be eliminated or prevented with a little foresight. This applies for example to:
- humidity due to insufficient drying of the walls in new buildings (after a suitable drying period the problem is resolved);
- humidity due to poor construction of the roof (after the appropriate repairs the problem is solved);
- humidity due to bad maintenance of the building, for example leaking pipes (after the necessary repairs the problem is solved)
Definitely more complicated is when mold depends on:
- humidity coming from the ground (the so-called capillary rising damp, can be resolved in some cases with an electrical device);
- humidity from condensation (indicates the lack or insufficiency of thermal insulation of the walls);
- humidity due to infiltration of driving rain.
How does a problem manifest itself humidity in the house? It depends on the affected surface, the most common manifestations are the following:
- plaster surfaces: swelling and detachment;
- paints: discoloration, oil dripping, the surface becomes sticky, swellings and flakes;
- lime plasters: swelling and detachment;
- mortars: swellings, white spots, cracks.
- metals: corrosion;
- floors: detachment of the waterproof coating, rot;
- wood: distortion and lifting;
- waterproof materials: bubbles.
To read the opinion of an expert we also recommend our article: Rising humidity: how to eliminate it forever