We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Together with mayonnaise, ketchup is among the most consumed sauces in the world; it is used to flavor sandwiches, french fries, hamburgers and hot dogs. Although this sauce is readily available in any supermarket, it might be a good idea to make it yourself; ketchup is easily prepared without having to resort to thickeners, artificial flavors, dyes or industrial preservatives: ingredients that unfortunately we find in those already packaged. In this regard we will illustrate you how to make ketchup following our recipe step by step.
Ketchup has a tomato sauce base to which you will need to add a number of flavors, including paprika and ginger, as well as sugar and vinegar to give the characteristic sweet and sour flavor.
How to make homemade ketchup, the ingredients
- 500 grams of tomato sauce
- 400 gr of onions
- 100 ml of apple cider vinegar
- 250 grams of sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon of mustard powder
- A pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 cloves
- Sterilized jars with hermetic closure
Useful information: sterilizing glass jars is an essential procedure to be able to safely store the sauce we are going to prepare. Even if the sterilization we operate in the home is rather mild, this gives us the opportunity to reduce or eliminate the microbial load (bacteria, yeast or fungi) so as to protect the food we seal in the jar. In this regard, I recommend reading the article "How to sterilize glass jars at home"
How to make homemade ketchup, the preparation
- After peeling the onions, cut them thinly
- Pour the tomato puree into a steel pot and add the onions
- Cook over low heat for about half an hour
- After the time has elapsed, transfer the mixture to a blender or a vegetable mill then put the sauce back into the pot and continue cooking for another 20 minutes, adding the sugar and vinegar
- After 20 minutes, add the salt and all the spices: nutmeg, cloves, ginger, mustard and paprika and leave to cook for 10 minutes to thicken the sauce.
- At this point pour the kechup into sterilized airtight glass containers and stored in the refrigerator
- Let the sauce rest for at least 2 days before consuming it to give it the best flavor
The Ketchup it almost never fails next to a hot dog or a plate of chips. But how many calories does it have?
In its classic homemade composition the ingredients of ketchup are low in calories: 25 grams of ketchup contain 15 calories.
But watch out for packaged ketchup sachets; even if they have few calories in them there are additives, added salts and above all the flavor enhancers (monosodium glutamate and others): all ingredients harmful to our body.
At this point we don't have to once again take sides in favor of self-production; it means taking care of your health without having to give up the pleasure of the palate.